Learn What Steps To Take If You Think Your Ex Is Putting Your Children In Dangerous Situations

After a custody agreement is decided in court, there are many people who assume that it is set in stone and that there is nothing they can do to change it. That is not the case at all, though. If you feel that your child is being put in a dangerous situation when they are with your ex, you can take steps to have the agreement amended to ensure that your children are as safe as they can possibly be at all times. The following guide walks you through the proper steps to take to ensure that your child is always safe.

Talk to Your Ex

The first thing you need to do is talk to your ex about the concerns that you have. You need to let him or her know what issues you have noticed and why they are concerning to you. Send the information through text or email so that you can prove what was said between the two of you. In order to prove that your ex is putting your child in a dangerous situation intentionally, you will need to be able to prove that you let him or her know about your concerns.

Contact the Local Child Welfare Department

If you notice that the talk you had with your ex did no good, you can contact the local child welfare department to report the issues that you have noticed. Be sure to let them know why they are so concerning to you and get advice as to what steps you should take next. If the agent in the department feels that you have valid concerns, they may send someone to investigate the situation. This allows you to have the situation documented by an outside source.

Contact a Family Law Attorney

If you feel that you want to stop your child from going to see the other parent on their own, you can file for a temporary amendment to the custody agreement. Your family attorney will know what stipulations need to be met in order for you to get approval for the amendment. You need to provide the attorney with all of the proof that you have so that he or she can build a strong case to show the judge.

Once you are given a temporary amendment to the custody agreement, you will need to work with your attorney to file for a permanent change to be made. This can help you to make sure that your ex has to get help and learn how to be a better parent before they are able to have your child again in the future. Contact a family law firm for more info.